TOP TEN TUESDAY: Book Characters That Would Be Sitting At My Lunch Table


High school was a blur but one thing I remember clearly is that I always had more guy friends than girl friends. Why? I have no idea, but I was always 'one of the guys'. I think it's because the boys I went to school with were fairly uncomplicated but as a teenage girl I could never figure my female peers out. Was that actually a compliment? Are you hanging out with me because you fancy my best friend? My guy friends were really straightforward and that suited me fine!

So when I saw the Top Ten Tuesday prompt this week was book characters I would have lunch with at school, I knew instantly a large proportion of them were going to be dudes. 

However, in an effort to be fair, I've picked five guys, five girls. And I promise, I tried to pick the guys based on their characters, not on how much I fancy them. Without further ado, here are my top ten choices:


Will from Divergent
I actually had a really good friend at school who Will reminded me a lot of, so I have a lot of feelings about Will and knew that he'd have to be at the lunch table. He's Erudite too so...chemistry tutor.


Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles
This was a tough choice because quite frankly, I love everyone in the Lunar Chronicles. But every friendship group needs a joker or comedian (I filled that role at school) and Thorne just cracks me up. It was either him or Leo from The Heroes of Olympus (or Stiles from Teen Wolf but this for book characters not TV characters).



Warner from the Shatter Me series

Okay okay, so when I tried to pick them based on characters, not how much I absolutely adored them, Warner might creep into the second category. If you've read the series, you know he's not a completely one dimensional cold blooded killer and to be fair, I've eaten lunch with a fair few of those in my time. But seriously, in a modern day AU, he'd be the rich, king of the school, heir to an empire that he didn't want, and so that gang could exploit his father's power and buy an ice cream parlor just for us to hang out in. And no one messes with Warner.



Alright, so maybe I'd have the younger Marauder version of Lupin, but since JK Rowling has totally been remiss and not written a companion novel The Marauder Years (yet), I had to use the book that introduced the wonderful Lupin to me in the first place. I'd want all James and Sirius and Lily too, but Lupin is my favourite. He'd be the kind of guy to snag the last chocolate muffin for you, or cover you in a food fight.


Levi from Fangirl
I wish I'd gone to school with a Levi! I was going to pick Cath but then I realised there would already be one socially awkward writer at the table (me) so I went for the fun, sweet guy instead.


Katsa from Graceling
Everyone needs someone semi threatening in their friendship group to stand up for you and Katsa, who is one of my favourite all time heroines, is perfect. You couldn't have a laugh at her expense without getting a plastic fork in your eyes, but she's loyal and she'd beat the tar out of anyone who said a bad word against you.


Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door
What can I say? I'm an ex-theatre student and my lunch table wouldn't be complete without someone with a touch of the theatrical about them. I loved Lola's quirky style in LATBND and I could definitely use a friend who could help me out with my fashion sense.


Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

I'm throwing a classic in the mix because, let's be honest, Lizzie's kind of wit and poise never goes out of style and you can always use a friend who has a bit of sass, especially if they can disguise that sass in verbose. And for rare moments where I don't have a comeback, I know Lizzie would.



Nehemia from the Throne of Glass series
I was torn between Nehemia and Celaena but went for Nehemia in the end; she's smart and diplomatic. Definitely a politics student! Plus she's a loyal and kind friend and I love her in the series. Hopefully, Celaena, Dorian and Chaol would follow her over and hang at our table too :)



Puck from The Scorpio Races
I hummed and harred about adding Puck because if you've read The Scorpio Races you know how otherworldly she is and it's very difficult to picture her in a high school or college, trying to steal crisps from you when you're not looking. But she kept coming back to me, so I added her. She'd be snippy and snappy and bite your head off if you mentioned her crush on Sean, but she'd probably be the one to encourage you to take a walk outside or go camping or each lunch out in the sun, instead of the cafeteria. And I like that about her.





(Top Ten Tuesday is an original meme created by the geniuses at http://www.brokeandbookish.com/ - please head on over and take a look at their site, and the other amazing blogs that are posted on the TTT master page!)

Comments

  1. I think Lizzie and Remus Lupin would be awesome lunch table buddies. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah, they would be great :3

      Delete
  2. AHH I love Levi! He was just so wonderfully written. I adore Warner. I can't wait to watch the YA Wordnerds book club for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment