Happy NaNoWriMo!


It is NaNoWriMo! it's also been FOREVER since I blogged. Bad Hannah. 

So my past NaNo success rate doesn't even need to be discussed but hopefully this year will be a win! I don't know why I do this to myself but aaaaah well.

If you don't know what NaNoWriMo is (and a surprising amount of people in my university do NOT know what it is), then it's where writers across the globe attempt to write 50K in 30 days across November. NAtional NOvel WRiting MOnth...see what they did there?

We can be buddies on NaNoWriMo's website - the more the merrier I always say: MY PROFILE


MY 2015 PROJECT

I started off plotting for Counterparts, a YA scifi but a week ago I just wasn't feeling it. I know it's an important story and I want to tell it but conceptually it's too big a project to undertake in 30 days. I needed more time to work out the major kinks. So I switched to a SNI (I say new, I came up with it months ago and it's been eating at my brain ever since). My project is an untitled YA/NA modern fantasy, centred around secret courts that exist in our world. It's a lot less heavy in tone than Counterparts, and kind of fun. I'm writing it more for myself than anything! It follows my MC as she discovers that *CLICHE* the world isn't what she thought it is, and she's kind of tossed into these fantasy courts rife with political intrigue, war, romance, magic, and much more. I like to think of it as The Mortal Instruments meets A Court of Thorns and Roses, with a lot of mythology and old stories tossed in. One court's history is based kind of around a Beauty and The Beast adaptation, so I am so excited.

HOW HAVE I PLANNED
  • I mostly used the Better Novel Project to outline - find you can adjust it easily enough and even though I'm undecided about using Scrivener this month, it works really well with that program.
  • Discussed plotting etc with writer friends. Mostly my writing group #RoyalWriters, and Dana and Steph specifically. Thanks to you all for you help, and especially Dana who went through my first outline and asked loads of questions that helped!
  • Reading lots of books, especially writing ones.
  • Started a detox! My friend and I are eating better and drinking more water and I know this will keep my mind fresh.
  • PINTEREST of course. I've been adding to my board for the past month like a crazy lady. Check em out if you like and see how this story is mostly about fox pictures.
       


NANO TIPS AND TRICKS
  • Don't be tempted to stay up til 4am writing. Get a good amount of sleep and that will actually help you not to burn out and see it through.
  • Drink lots of water to keep your brain hydrated and the words coming.
  • Eat healthy snacks as well as your favourites, for better brain stuff.
  • Write ins, word sprints...believe me, they help. Especially if you are in high demand in your own home and can't always lock the door.
  • Prioritise. Winning is great, but at the end of the day, I count any amount of words towards your final goal as victory. If you have homework and assignments and chores, do them. Work and school comes first, try to balance but don't run yourself ragged.
  • If you need background noise but are tired of your playlist, I highly recommend ambient noise generators like Rainy Cafe!
  • Also, Pinterest. When are they gonna start paying me for the amount of advertising and praise I give them?
  • Exercise! Sounds crazy, but get out, have a walk, do some squats - whatever suits you. I know you think it will make you tired, but it actually gets blood pumping and helps your mind work better.
  • Hash out concerns about plot with writer friends and swap work regularly. I am an insecure mess so getting feedback always makes me feel better!

ANYTHING I WISH I HAD DONE TO PREPARE

  • Not switched ideas a week before November and had to reoutline a whole new story which I loved more but conceptually and world building wise needed so much work. GREAT JOB DAVIES.
  • This is probably the first time I don't have a playlist of songs to listen while I am out and about, not writing but needing to be inspired. This makes me nervous, but the weather outside right now really suits the story so fingers crossed it will be okay.

OTHER NANO PROJECTS I AM EXCITED ABOUT

  • Dana is writing this amazing high fantasy that I am in love with. The idea seems really different to a lot of stuff out there. Helping plot it has been a privilege! Check out her blog post about it.Steph did a me and switched project like...2 days ago! I like this one a lot - it's another fantasy, about a world where magic is determined by colour. I won't say much more than that but it sounds great! 

What about you guys - are you participating in NaNoWriMo? Let's DO IT!

Comments